Sunday, October 26, 2008

miscommunications at work

Last week a girl that I work with needed to take a test during her shift. I work the same shift, but as a rush server, so i am only there for 2 hours instead of 5-6, but it is usually slow and we don't need everyone to be there. I told her that it would be fine if she went and took the test because we didn't need her. I meant that she could come to work her shift and could leave for her test and then come back. She thought I meant that I would work for her and we just wouldn't have a rush server.
It ended up fine because I sensed that she thought that and I went in early and made sure that she was going to come in after her test so that I could leave when I normally would to study for the test I had the next day.
Next time I will make sure that I say exactly what I mean and not leave room for confusion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you had the intuition to know a miscommunication was on the verge of causing problems for all of you!

Danni D said...

I agree, that could have ultimately been a really bad situation! What if you didn't sense that she had misunderstood you! You would've been there for hours, and soo upset. Im glad to caught that and was able deal with it early!