Monday, September 22, 2008

cover letter

I thought that all the advice was interesting. It all seemed to be good advice. The person who wrote it sounded like he knew what he was talking about and was in a place where he had seen enough cover letters to give advice on what he would like to see on one.
It was interesting that he said cover letters are the last thing that someone looks at. I wouldn't have thought about it until I read that, but it makes sense. Why would someone waste time reading a cover letter when they could just look to see if it is even worth their time.
I also thought that the cover letter should be about me. I actually wondered why you would need a cover letter if your resume is written well. I didn't know what I would put in a cover letter that my resume didn't already tell the reader. I don't think being redundant is helpful.
I thought that it was interesting that in class we often talk about personalizing the cover letter to the company. My dad has been trying to get me to send out a mass resume just to see what kind of interest my resume draws, but now i know that doing that would hurt more than it would help because if I sent a generic resume to a company I was really interested in they wouldn't think I was worth the time.

No comments: